There are so many great classic side dishes to serve with barbecue. Deciding which ones to make can be a struggle. So how about a completely new idea that will add a kick to your next BBQ? This recipe for BBQ Red Hot Potatoes is sure to win you raves. Its a unique potato dish because the potatoes take on an awesome red color and the flavor will definitely complement your favorite barbecue dish.
The other great thing about this barbecue side dish is that it can be made any time. So if youre craving that barbecue flavor, you can whip this dish up in about an hour.
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1 T. bacon drippings or melted butter
- 1 T. red hot pepper sauce (ie. Franks)
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. black pepper
1. In a large stock pot, stir all of the ingredients together. Add water, just enough to cover the potatoes. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the cubes.
2. Remove from heat and let sit about 30 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes have taken on a nice read color.
3. Return the burner to medium-low heat and cook the potatoes just until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This would also make a great dish to take to a pot luck party or picnic. If desired, you can transfer the fully cooked potatoes to a crock pot to keep them warm over low heat. Just be careful that they dont burn.
You could also boost the flavor of the potatoes by stirring in a little cooked and crumbled bacon and/or sliced green onions just before serving. Or feel free to add any of your own stir-in ideas. The potatoes are perfect for tweaking to your desired tastes.